Is air leaking into your house and not keeping it as warm as possible? Even a well insulated house will not be energy efficient if it is not air tight. Air leaking in and out of your home causes you to lose money on your monthly energy bills. It also causes you to compromise the comfort levels of your living space. In addition, a well-sealed home prevents dust and moisture from coming in which can cause mold and other complications.
Air leakage can occur in several areas throughout your house including:
- Around doors and windows
- Around air conditioning and heating units
- Through mail slots or animal portals in doors
- Around cable lines
- Through fire places and chimneys
- Through cracks in the foundation
- Through garage doors
So, how can you improve the air leaking into your house?
- Check doors and windows to make sure they are sized properly. Over time, with regular use, gaps can widen and old seals can wear away. In addition, changes in temperature and the amount of moisture in the soil can cause the foundation of your home to shift, creating new gaps and cracks in walls, windows and doors. Installing insulated or storm doors and windows will prevent leaks.
- Improve caulking and weather stripping. Use caulk or weather stripping to seal openings anywhere you see a crack or feel a draft. Holding a lit match around potential spots of leakage will help you determine where you need to seal off openings. If the flame moves, you will know that air is coming in and out.
- However, before caulking or installing weather stripping anywhere in your home, it is a good idea to seek the guidance of a professional contractor, like us. There are various types of materials that can be used and some are difficult to install properly. If it is determined that you can do it yourself, always be sure to clean the area thoroughly before you begin and completely remove all old caulk and weather stripping.
A drafty home is not a comfortable home. Make your house air tight for increased comfort, while saving energy and money at the same time!